This is a special edition post with a few of my favorite summer recipes. (The last post was long enough!)
Fresh Pico de Gallo
This recipe is great for eating fresh with chips or topping grilled meat at your next barbecue.
- 4 med ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-4 yellow chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1-4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
Put all ingredients in a large bowl, mix until salt is distributed throughout salsa. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
If you prefer to preserve the flavor of summer to enjoy in the cold months, here's a great canning recipe.
(adapted from Small Batch Preserving, by Ellie Topp & Margaret Howard)
- 8 small/med tomatoes (about 2 lbs) , halved
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded
- 2 small red chile peppers, seeded (we have a ton waiting to turn red!)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dried oregano or thyme, OR 2 TBSP fresh oregano or thyme
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
Sterilize canning jars, rings and unused lids by placing them in a large canner/stew pot and covering with water. Boil for 14 minutes. Leave jars in hot water while you prepare the salsa.
Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, peppers in blender and process until smooth. Pour into a stainless steel or enamel saucepan.
Add vinegar, herbs, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, or until thickened slightly.
Remove jars from canner with tongs and ladle salsa into jars to within 1/2 inch of top rim. make sure rim is wiped clean, tighten lids, replace into canner and process at a boil for 20 minutes.
Italian Summer Pasta Salad
- 1 lb corkscrew pasta
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper or 3 small sweet peppers, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 4 pickled artichoke hearts, diced
- 1/2 lb cold salami or pepperoni, cut into cubes
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into strips
- 1/4 lb grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups Italian dressing or vinaigrette
- 2 TBSP chopped parsley
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt & pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, cook pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse in cold water.
in a large bowl combine pasta, pepper, zucchini, onion, salami, broccoli, mozzarella. Toss. Pour in half of the dressing, mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
When ready to use, combine in the remaining dressing, salt, pepper, garlic and Parmesan. Garnish with tomato wedges.